Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Uinta Labyrinth Black Ale

Beer: Uinta Labyrinth Black Ale
Aroma: Chocolate, sweet sweet chocolate. I’ve had some stouts on the lower end of the gravity spectrum lately and haven’t had a huge ass stout in a while. The chocolate malt flavor comes out and disguises the roast considerably.  I used to think of myself as a roast guy, but this chocolate aroma is much more appetizing. Vanilla comes forward a lot and you can definitely smell the oak in there as well. The alcohol smell kind of burns your nostrils, but I don’t find it off-putting at all.

Taste: Some roast, some licorice, some fruity esters, and a huge helping of molasses. Remnds me of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout a little bit, just with a sweeter taste. It really has a ton of sweetness to it, and I’m kind of regretting opening this 750 mL bottle, since I’ll be finishing it by myself.

Mouthfeel: Really viscous, like drinking syrup.

Worth a try?: It took me nearly two hours to drink the entire bottle, but it is done. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. It was a great beer and it had the type of flavors I prefer in a stout. It was really heavy and boozy, but a great beer to share with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment