Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Harpoon Winter Warmer

I spent a couple days visiting family and did not eat lentils for a couple of days. When I got back sunday night I made a bowl of lentils but they were nothing special so I didn't take a picture of them.
When I was visiting family for a couple of days I did a review of Harpoon's Winter Warmer so here goes:


Beer: Harpoon’s Winter Warmer
 

Beer looks nicer on my moms marble counter tops
Smell: Lots of nutmeg with a side of cinnamon(or maybe the other way around…). There is a little dark malt smell that comes through but the dominant aroma is definitely spice.
Taste: Kind of an underwhelming body. The spice flavor is strong and would be good in a beer that was 8-10% ABV, but this is a smaller beer and there is more spice than necessary. I’m looking at a dark copper beer and all I taste is spice, I know there is some lovely dark roasty malts in there but can’t taste them.
Mouthfeel: Way too thin for a winter warmer.
Worth a try?: Ok, there are many reasons why I may not like this beer. For one, the bottle says best if drink by 03/05/2010 and the beer was sitting in direct sunlight in the gas station. This can’t excuse the flavor though because if the beer was super old you would think the spice would have faded some more. A second reason this winter warmer may not taste delicious to me is that it is not winter. I am not sitting in a warm house, I can’t here the jingle of the goofy-ass Christmas collars my wife and I bought for the dogs, I’m not drunk at noon, and Ralphie isn’t plastered all over every tv within miles. In any case, it isn’t my favorite beer. I bought a six-pack, but if you like winter warmer’s I would try one out in a sampler pack before making the $10 commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment