Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hell or High Watermelon Wheat

I am not reviewing any lentils because it took me a couple of days to finish off the lentil tacos. I regret that the lentil tacos were too good, meaning that my next meal of lentils will be awful. I'm visiting family for a couple of days and I am going to head to wal-mart and buy some lentils here in a little bit. I think my dinner will consist of lentils simmered in salt. I expect this will taste similar to how the holocaust would have tasted if it were converted into legume form. 
Never fear though, because I did two beer reviews.

Beer: Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewing
Aroma: Not a lot of aroma at all. You have to stick your nose way the hell in the glass to get any watermelon. I basically get no smell.
Taste: There’s the watermelon. This beer definitely tastes like watermelon. There is an almost candy-like after taste to it. There is the candy watermelon taste,almost jolly rancher like*. I may even taste some hops. In any case, I don’t dislike the combination of flavors, but I am not sure how to describe it.

Mouthfeel: kind of thin and dry

Worth a try?: I have heard alot about this beer but most importantly about this brewery. I think there are a lot of people out there that really like it, but if I were going to spend 8-10 bucks on a light refreshing 6-pack, there are a ton of wheat beers out there worthy my attention. Fruit beers are hit or miss most of the time, and I think this beer dared to be different. Its strangeness and mediocrity aren’t really something to be desired but it isn’t devastatingly bad like Abita’s purple haze or your mom’s meatloaf.
*I cheated there because I couldn't put my finger on the flavor till I read other online reviews that pointed out the "jolly rancher" flavor.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment